Going through a divorce can be messy and complicated—your life can be turned upside down. Getting yourself organized during this time can help keep you less stressed and on track.
- Keep a daily calendar – you will need to keep track of all meetings and deadlines. These are important; if you or your spouse do not keep an appointment or violate an agreement it could be used against you in court.
- Make a To Do List – list all necessary actions and priortize. This will help you accomplish them and feel more in control as you check them off of your list.
- Do your research – it is valuable to learn all you can about divorce before you begin the processs. Educating yourself will help you make better choices.
- Make a divorce file – divorce produces mountains of paperwork. Keep them in chronological order and make yourself an index card.
- Consolidate all debt – if you have debt in your name such as credit cards, loans, etc., you will want to pay those down as much as possible before a divorce.
- Collect financial information – this should include all bills, loans, savings and investments, etc.
- Discontinue all unecessary expenses – be prepared to live within your new income level.
- Take care of your health – stay positive, eat healthy, exercise and get a good nights sleep—all these will help relieve stress.
- Keep contact with your ex to a minimum – needless conflicts only add to stress. Using e-mail and text vs. telephone can help keep your emotions in check. Do remember to be as cordial as possible when corresponding with your ex.
- Take one day at a time- focus on the present and your future, not the past.
- Make a plan – control only what is in your control. Make a plan and then stick to it.
Using this guide will help you take control of your divorce and not let it take control of you.