How do you live life to the fullest right now, and at the same time save for the future?
It’s called planning – and for some, it’s an easy task, as these are the savers. But if your natural inclination is to spend impulsively, it may take some reconditioning for you to manage expenses while saving for the future, Here is a quick guide on how to enjoy your life without sacrificing your financial future.
Create a budget
- Tracking your spending will help you see where your money is going and how you can trim spending and save. Live within your means; this means not spending more than your income.
Enjoy Life’s Free Experiences
Living within your means may mean finding activities that don’t take a bite out of your wallet. Here are a few things to consider:
- Take a walk in nature.
- Enjoy a free outdoor concert in your city.
- Have a coffee and deep conversation with a friend or family member.
- Read a great book that makes you think, and share the story.
- Have a picnic in the park, at the beach, at a lake or in your backyard.
Pay off debt
- Paying off debt and saving for your future should be at the top of your list. Pay off high-interest loans first and improve your credit score. Check into refinancing your mortgage or student loans; this may save money on interest payments.
Saving for the future
- Invest your money wisely; ask for help from a trusted investment advisor, preferably a fiduciary. A fiduciary is bound ethically to act in your best interest. Be sure to have them educate you, do a risk assessment profile and review your portfolio annually.
- Get proper life insurance, and health insurance and explore other insurance needs.
- Ideally, have an emergency fund of three to six months of your salary.
- Have a will and assign beneficiaries on all policies, update as necessary
- Designate a healthcare proxy and power of attorney
You can take the first steps today to change the financial outcome of your future. Spend money on the things you value most, but have a plan in place that will help you enjoy your life today and feel prepared for tomorrow.