H is for How long have you been Missing Money Owed to You?

H is for How to Claim Money Owed

You may be totally unaware of unclaimed money that belongs in your wallet but don’t be too hard on yourself, plenty of property and dollars go unclaimed each year. As a matter of fact according to the National Association of Unclaimed Property (NAUPA), unclaimed property programs are currently holding about $42 billion in the United States, and it’s all waiting to be returned to the rightful consumer.

So how do you go about finding this money?  Well, with just a few clicks online you may find money left in bank accounts, insurance policies, stocks, security deposits, uncashed dividends, IRS refunds, property and more. At present, the government does not have a central website for finding unclaimed money, but you can check some sources, such as:

  • You can do a free search on sites like Missingmoney.com and Unclaimed.org, which are both endorsed by NAUPA.
  • Check the treasury website for the state you live in and any states that you have lived in previously.
  • Treasuryhunt.gov helps you search for any unclaimed savings bonds and payments.
  • At IRS.gov you can search for any undeliverable refund money from the Internal Revenue Service. To make sure you’ve received your checks, visit the IRS’s Where’s my refund tool.
  • Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp has a searchable database to help you locate unclaimed pension money.
  • Search the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for unclaimed veterans benefits owed to you by the federal government.
  • Life insurance claims or payments need to be checked at the individual insurer’s website, or the state insurance department. To get contact information go to National Association of Insurance.

So go ahead and start your search, you may be surprised at what unclaimed funds are waiting to be collected by you.

Answers from A to Z

About Ann Zuraw

Ann Zuraw, the voice behind "Chicks, Chat and Change", is a Certified Financial Planner (CFP®), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®), and Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA™). If you have comments on this post contact Ann Zuraw

, , , , , , , , , , ,