Zest is about having energy, excitement or feeling alive. It goes hand in hand with happiness and optimism. “Zestful” living can be obtained by learning how to utilize your strengths and overcome fears and doubts so that your life may be lived to the fullest. Zest is found in character strength, and in pursuing life with enthusiasm and adventure.
With today’s overwhelming set of demands, it is easy to get caught up in a fast pace existence and miss the everyday pleasures. Perhaps you keep telling yourself you will enjoy life “when…”. Well, your “when…” can begin today. Here are some tips on how you can enjoy life and become the “Zestful” person perhaps you long to be.
- Start simply. Get enough sleep. Did you know going to bed and rising at the same time increases your energy and mental attitude?
- Put some fun physical movement in your life. Exercise, in general, is important; but enjoyable exercise such as hiking, biking, tennis, and golf are even more beneficial to you and your brain. Get outside when possible.
- Be aware of what you put in your body. The right foods (and enough water) give us energy, while other foods deplete energy and mood. Protein, vegetables, and fruits are your body’s best friend.
- Socialize, get involved. We are social creates; spending time with others makes us feel more zestful. Volunteer, join a book club, get a workout buddy, have coffee with a friend; share your life with others.
- Focus your mental attitude on Wake up every morning and allow your first thought to be about something positive in your life. Look for the good, and you will find it.
- Allow yourself to dream. Give yourself permission to get excited about life. Have good thoughts about your next vacation, or learning to write poetry, or taking a drawing class. Life is filled with opportunities and fun. Don’t let them pass you by.
Having a “Zestful” life is within your reach. None of us may have everything our heart’s desire, and all of us will experience disappointments; however, life is filled with options and opportunities. So, be courageous, wake up tomorrow and decide to take care of yourself and enjoy your life.
Answers from A to Z